2012年10月20日 星期六

Artist Interview recording

Stella Tang interview Part 1
Stella Tang Interview Part 2


The theme of the artwork

-          ‘Veil and Unveil’ is one of series to experiment with new visual language
-          For one’s identity within the cultural context of Hong Kong
-          Nature of a veil of veiling and unveiling is about ‘seeing and being seen’ relationship
-          Through ‘seeing and being seen’, artists hope to aware local issue
-          For example, what is the Hong Kong identity, what are the different between 1960s,1970s and nowadays Hong Kong
-          To reflect women and the captivating social history of Hong Kong during the period of 1960s and 1970s

The form of the artwork

-          3D with different shapes
The medium of artwork

-          Fabric and threads
-          Tried cotton but it doesn’t work, the reason is not limpid enough
-          Also, it is difficult to remove fixed pattern in cotton
-          Fabric and threads is better because it has translucent feature
-          From far view, it is clear but it is not clear from near view

The background of the artist if it is related to the artwork

-          Some relationship between artworks background and artists
-          Stella Tang’s mother was an industry workers
-          The idea of artworks was stimulated by his mother’s work

The social background of the artwork

-          After Hong Kong handover, the changes for teenagers is decreasing
-          developer hegemony in Hong Kong
-          More and more conflict social issues
-          Hong Kong was a colonized area, cultural was influenced by western in large extent
-          Only little people interest in to find local identity
-          Stella Tang through her ‘Veil and Unveil’ series to find her identity
-          Aware public attention on identify issue and remind them the Hong Kong spirit

Did she make any reference to the art history?

-          Stella Tang referenced Do-Ho Suh artists
-          Suh created veiled sculpture and veiled architecture
-          Suh address personal and collective identities referencing to the artist’s unique cultural experience
-          Stella Tang inspired by his artworks


Do you like her artwork? Why?

-          Like very much
-          One of 80s, I have sympathy with her artworks
-          Lots of conflicts in our society
-          I feel hopeless in future
-          Stella expressed what her feeling on social issue

Interview Questions

- Why you have ideas to create 'veil series'?
- Why choose veil material?
- Do you fave any difficulties in the creation?
- What is the purpose of 'veil series'?
- What 'veil clothes' present for ?
- Do 'veil series' related to your childhood?
- Do you have any difficulties when you exhibit 'veil series'?
- Do 'veil series' related to social issue nowadays?
- Do you referenced other artists artworks?
- Do you think 'veil series' successful?



4 則留言:

  1. Very interesting and clear explanation about the artwork. Also, I can get to know the details about your interview with artist. But one problem is I can hardly locate the photo of the artwork, is it somewhere in the blog? I believe it will be easier to understand along with the visual!

    回覆刪除
    回覆
    1. Brian, I really like how you include the interview recordings on this blog in such an early stage. I can get to know the details about your interview with artist. This also proves that you are really well prepared for the presentation, also it Is more interesting to look at your blog as there is something to listen to when reading the text! Good job! The topic chosen is also very interesting and with your clear explanation, I know more about the piece of artwork. However, there is one minor problem; I can hardly locate the photo of the artwork. It is very important to balance the multimodality of the blog; you did really well with the textual and audio part. But can you also attach photos in this blog? I believe it will be easier to understand along with the visual as well!

      刪除
  2. It is a interesting theme to do artworks on modern women.And I would like to see her artworks and also your point of view or opinions toward this artist. And still, I appreciate your effort in researching and preparing the interview, because they really help me to know about the artist.

    回覆刪除
  3. The artwork idea is good to let the audience think about our identities. Besides, the medium is new such as fabric and the threads which are rare to be used for the art in Hong Kong. There is no photo about the artwork that it is difficult to see how the artwork reflects the theme. But I agreed that “Veil and Unveil” is the new visual language which can represent different meanings with different ways to wear it. However, some women in some countries that wearing veils because of her religion or her custom, not showing her identity. I also think that it is hard to aware people of the local issue when the first time to see the artwork. All in all, it is a good idea for reflecting Hong Kong identity.

    回覆刪除